Welcome to Yealand Redmayne Parish Council Website
Accessibility : If you have difficulty in accessing any of the documents, can't read the print, or need further assistance, please contact the Clerk on 078 37 193 990, or email at email@example.com
The beautiful village of Yealand Redmayne is situated in North Lancashire, close to the A6 trunk road which runs from Lancaster to Kendal.
The area has a fascinating history, dating back to the Domesday Book, where it was known as ‘Jalant’ – thought to be the Anglo Saxon for ‘high ground’.
The village was created in the 13th century following the partition of the original township of Yealand. The partition formed the three villages of Yealand Conyers, Yealand Redmayne and Yealand Storrs. Redmayne was named after Henry de Redmayne, a local Lord of the Manor.
The villages are closely associated with the history of the Quaker movement. George Fox, leader of the Quakers, visited the area in 1652, when he met and became a good friend of Richard Hubberthorn, a local man. Richard served as an officer in the Civil War and shared the same religious views as George Fox. He helped arrange secret meetings in the area.
The Friends Meeting House in Yealand Conyers was opened in 1692 and is still in regular use, to this day.
The Parish Church of St John, part of the Diocese of Blackburn, has origins back to 1838. It is a member of the United Benefice of St. Oswald in Warton along with the Church of St. Mary, Borwick. St Mary’s Catholic Church, is part of the diocese of Lancaster and was built in 1852. It has close links to the Gillow family at nearby Leighton Hall.
Yealand Redmayne forms part of the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The area is rich in wildlife, woodlands and cultural heritage. It is close to the RSPB Reserve at Leighton Moss made famous by the resident bitterns.
There are numerous wonderful walks in the area which feature impressive views of Morecambe Bay, Ingleborough and the Lake District mountains. The northern reaches of the Lancaster Canal pass close to the village. The canal is currently under restoration.
The Cinderbarrow Picnic Site is the home of the Cinderbarrow Railway which has been established by the Lancaster & Morecambe Model Engineering Society.
The International Leisure group, Pure Leisure, has its headquarters in Yealand Redmayne
The Yealand Redmayne Parish Council welcomes you to their new Parish Website. It has been introduced to help improve communications within the community. We welcome any feedback. The Council will in particular, communicate all new Planning Applications for the Yealands, through the site.
The website is updated regularly and information relating to Planning & Consultations can be found in the Planning Page, Info for Bus Changes and Road Closures can be found on the Links Page.
Local Interest might include events held in the region, a dedicated page for the AONB will include their work and events days.
For more information about Yealand Redmayne area click here
If you would like to add notices of local functions or events onto the website, please contact the clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org with details.